brinjal or egg plant 1 medium size
onion finely chopped 1 medium size
ginger garlic paste 1tsp
tomato chopped 1 medium size
turmeric powder 1/2tsp
chilli powder 1/2tsp
coriander powder 1/2tsp
garam masala 1/2tsp
salt 1-1/2 tsp
coriander chopped for garnishing
lemon juice 1tsp
or dried fenugreek leaves 1/2tsp
hing or asafoetida a pinch
- Take the brinjal or eggplant and make some holes with fork to pass the air and oil its outer surface .
- switch on the gas or burner and put cooling rack and roast until its surface is burnt , flip it while cooking. Oven can also be used , for that put it in baking tray and watch until it become dark brown .
- Put the brinjal in cold water for few sec. and remove the outer skin .
- Mash the flesh.
- Heat oil in a pan / kadhai . Add cumin , hing ,cloves and onion and fry over medium heat until light golden brown.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala , kasoori methi and salt and stir. Add tomatoes and cook until tender.
- Add mashed baigan (eggplant). Stir well. Fry the baigan bhartha for 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Add lemon juice.
- Garnish the baigan bharta with green coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati or rice.